Friday, December 24, 2010

Tongue-tied again at Christmas!

It's happened again! All through the year we writers sit, poised, bristling with ideas, ready to astonish the world with our tantalising, creative and imaginative outpourings, lovingly crafted, sensitively drawn, painstakingly revised and polished. Our blogging blossoms, our poems pulsate with life and poignancy. Our audience applauds. We blush modestly and inwardly glow with pride. Then comes Christmas. The blog is up to date, house clean (well, clean-ish), presents tastefully wrapped, decorations lavishly and extravagantly executed, brandy butter chilling in the fridge, turkey in the freezer... time for those Christmas greetings.

The man in my life, my lover, super-hero, friend, mopper-up-in-times-of-trouble, love of my life, husband and fellow-sufferer of 35 years' standing. Who deserves, more than anyone, to be the recipient of loving, sensitive, caring, gentle words of appreciation this Christmas, gently laced with wit and humour? Why, my husband! Why, then, at this crucial moment, does all creativity desert me? What shall I write? "To my beloved - a happy blogging Christmas to you"? "Thank you for putting up with me all year!"? "Did you remember to buy the mistletoe so we could be romantic?"? "Happy Christmas - please could you clean the oven after dinner"?

I am full of shame. I have saved the best till last - the most important task of them all - and, as usual, I'm knackered! Only the dregs and dog-ends are left. My mind's a blank, the creative juices all run down. The river is dry. I've said it before, darling, and I'll say it again: "I love you - lots! I love you - Merry Christmas - and a happy blogging New Year!"

No comments: