Monday, January 2, 2012

Whatever Next?

Greetings, fellow-bloggers and blog-devourers! It's only Day Two of this brand new year and already I'm flagging, wondering if I can ask a favour of you. It's a bit early in the year really to be admitting defeat in this way and I am somewhat ashamed, but there it is. New Year is a concept that is all about new beginnings, fresh resolve, renewed motivation and a sense of excitement at new possibilities - for achievement, for enjoyment and for improvement. 'Doing the right thing' is a goal recently made fashionable, desirable and unarguably correct - unthinkable, in fact, not to! Like bendy buses, at great cost, we have done away with all other outmoded and unpopular models and ushered in the new, how-could-any-generous-man (or woman)-think-otherwise? principle. Doing the Right Thing - our collective New Year's Resolution! A very positive stance and highly commendable.



But already I'm falling down on the job! The run-up to Christmas, all through the month of December, was pretty much the same this year as ever, except for the performing of one or two additional financial magic tricks, pulling turkeys out of the hat like white rabbits and trimming one or two things (not with holly this time) in order to manage the annual round of visiting, present buying and other festivities. The run-up to New Year required a little more wizardry and a good pair of ear plugs. The Netherlands at New Year is an experience never to be forgotten. This year it was around 4 a.m. before the last of the bangs evaporated into the night air. Not long after I awoke to greet the New Year, feeling as if I was paying once more for the privilege of partying all night - only I hadn't!



Now it's all over. January 1st dawns once again with us all safe and sound (amazing), our house and car intact, no limbs blown off, both eyes still safely in their sockets and a deluge of grey, depressing rain to wash away the debris of last night's wild party and bring everyone back to their senses. A gloomy, weary-looking news reader informs us that we are still in a financial crisis - now more than ever - and that 2012 is not going to be better than 2011. I think we knew that already. Then he wishes us all a happy New Year. Thanks!



The rain continues, grey, unrelenting, miserable. So I am left having to ask you that favour. I need a short sabbatical - just a moment or two's respite from my appointed role. My blog is still meditative - you may rest assured. I'm still here and I'm still thinking - I think therefore I am. But what am I thinking? Can I still play the court jester? Am I still 'gently humorous and entertaining'? Post party, post presents, post eat, drink and be merry, post bangers and crackers, post Christmas and New Year... what is filling my thoughts and can I entertain you with it? Just for today, sadly, the skies are grey, the budget is stretched and the future is a little blank. What comes next? For we have crossed the line from December - that month of feasting and merriment where even good old Scrooge is reformed and festive - to bleak old January, grey skies and the return to work and... what else? Give me a day or two and I'll be sure to remember. In the meantime, Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: