Monday, April 22, 2013

Jigsaw

I am a lover of puzzles. I like problem solving - most of the time. I have a new jigsaw. But it is one of those new, modern, tricksy jigsaws. There is no picture on the lid and you cannot be quite sure that all the pieces in the box belong to this jigsaw. There may be some that do not belong.
 
This may take some time to solve - even for me. There was once an old jigsaw, where all the pieces fitted into a neat, ordered space and the result was pretty good. We lived in that jigsaw for nearly seven years and then we decided to move on and try a new one. It took us a long time to arrange the pieces of the old one, just how we liked them. It took a long time to keep it clean and tidy. Sometimes we added new pieces. We rearranged a few things and made them fit. Occasionally we threw away old ones. But not often. We ended up with a lot of pieces in our jigsaw. After nearly seven years we decided to pack up the pieces in a lot of boxes - it took more than 150 boxes. It was a very big jigsaw!
 
Now we have a new place for our jigsaw and a new picture to make but what will it look like? We have downsized. So I have a new puzzle to tease me. I think it may tease me for quite a while and I will have to try to learn to think in new ways and do things a bit differently in order to complete this new puzzle. Next week the new jigsaw arrives from the store where I have been keeping it. I have found a new place for it. But this is a new start. I must rearrange the pieces. Now I know where the puzzle must live I have to create a new one. The old one will not do. Some of the pieces will not do either - the question is: which ones? It is a guessing game of trial and error. When it is finished I know it will be beautiful, unique and just the right size. When the last piece is finally placed in the last gap I know it will fit. There will be just enough pieces and just enough space. It will be a new creation - a thing of beauty. Won't it?
 
Someone out there please tell me I'm right! Has anyone else ever moved house?

No comments: