Sunday, May 26, 2013

Menagerie


 
It’s a strange sort of day
And I can’t work it out.
My bed’s full of bears
And my bath’s full of trout.
There’s a pig in the shower,
A giraffe on the path
And I’m sure I just noticed
A bat on the hearth. 

It’s a strange sort of day
And I can’t get it straight.
There’s a herd of white rhino
Just come through my gate.
There’s a flock of grey geese
In the hall by the stairs
And a small troupe of mice
On the dining room chairs. 

It’s a strange sort of day
And I’m feeling quite faint.
If I see one more sheep
I shall make a complaint.
Did I eat too much cheese?
Stay too long in the sun?
But it’s just like the zoo
So perhaps I’ll have fun. 

Well, the bears had some buns
And they shared them with me
And the mice said they’d like
To stay with us for tea.
Then the rhinos got stuck
As they came through the gate.
By the time it was fixed
It was getting quite late. 

Then the pig left the shower
And went back to the mud
But it left the tap running
And now there’s a flood.
When I’d cleaned it all up
I was ready for bed
But guess who was there
Even though they’d been fed! 

But I slipped into bed
And I turned out the light.
Then the bears started growling
And gave me a fright.
It’s been a strange day,
But not quite what it seemed:
I’m so glad I’m in bed
And it’s only a dream.
 
 

1 comment:

Melinda Roos said...

I love this Julie! Oh, the highs and lows of moving!
Hope you'll feel settled soon, xxx Melinda