Thursday, March 17, 2011

More of a bleat than a tweet!

I saw lambs today! Frolicking, frisking, twisting, turning, gambolling, snowy white lambs! They were sandwiched, on a small strip of land, between the main road and the glasshouses. I felt sorry for them in their polluted, noisy, restricted and unattractive environment. It was a far cry from the romantic idyll of country living where I thought they belonged.

Then I looked at them. They were totally absorbed in their gambolling and frisking, leaping about on the green grass and running, at intervals, for comfort and sustenance from their mother, buffeting her mercilessly in their greedy attempts to feed. Theirs would be a short life anyway, no doubt, but it seemed to be a happy one. They knew no other, more privileged environment and, as far as I could see, yearned for nothing more than the company of their fun-loving brothers and sisters and the warmth and nutrition of their mother’s warm fleece and ever-ready milk. The strip of grass seemed to provide all that was needed by the sheep too.

Nothing to worry about – everything provided for. Who was I to complain that they were needy and neglected? Just indulging in a spot of naive anthropormorphism and projecting my own needs and wants on a bunch of contented, well-fed creatures. Nothing to bleat about after all!

No comments: