Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New!

We all like new things! Some of us like them more than others but human beings seem to be made with inexhaustible wells of creativity – for creating new things! Sometimes it seems as if the well runs dry. Writers get writers’ block. Musicians search desperately for the inspiration they need to finally perfect the song lyrics that elude them. Architects are defeated by attempts to branch out into the new and innovative design that they can see in their mind’s eye but cannot get down on paper. Artists, engineers, cooks, teachers, tour guides, gardeners, poets, parents – the list is endless – all rely on the necessary functioning of their creative juices. Whilst creativity is flowing we take it for granted. When we experience a block we start to falter, to doubt ourselves and to despair.

Sometimes, however, creativity has not failed; it has simply changed course. We are not machines. We need stimulation and input or we just get bored. I love to write. Usually the words flow fairly effortlessly. The results are not always good but the well rarely runs dry. I am a creative person. Many people think that they are not creative because they don’t write poetry or paint watercolours. But creativity comes in so many shapes and sizes. Creative thought is invaluable. People who just sit and think change the world. They invent new things. They dream up the worldwide web. They solve global problems, using their innate creativity.



Creative cookery is a gift! Recently I have been inspired by a visit to Majorca where we were enticed by empanadas – simple little pastry creations, filled with meat or vegetables and flavoured with mouth-watering Mediterranean herbs. I am no ‘foodie’ but for once I was inspired and, on my return, have been inventing my own creative recipes for filling the freezer with a whole variety of these wonderful little pies. Packed lunches and picnics will never be the same again!

I love my garden. I plan green leafy bowers and explosions of colour. Sometimes they work – sometimes they don’t! But in this wonderful spring I have been tempted away from my computer to the great outdoors to create and to sit back and enjoy Nature’s own creativity.

Temporarily the creative juices have been diverted and my blog has faltered. Maybe you’ve missed me! I’ve not been so inspired to write just lately but the creative urges are still there. They just took a holiday to a different location! Why limit myself to only one particular brand of tried and tested creativity? Why not branch out? I’m not really single-minded. I don’t have one passion that excludes all others. I’m a multi-person! I like new things…

No comments: