Wednesday, June 29, 2011

To do or not to do...

Why is decision-making sometimes so hard? As we grow older it seems to become more and more difficult. Whatever became of ‘older and wiser’? Children, it seems, dart here and there on a whim, grabbing one toy, discarding another, crawling purposefully across the room after that carelessly abandoned shopping bag, cooing delightedly as they pull everything from the bag, strewing purchases all over the floor, spilling cream from the carton, shaking the egg box with no thought for the consequences, emptying the muesli, digging little fingers into juicy, fresh strawberries, howling with rage when these treasures are snatched from their grasp.

For us ‘big people’, life is so much more complicated. There are so many considerations, so many factors to weigh up, so many people to please. Children know what they want. So did we once. Now decisions are not so simple and over the years we have so often been disappointed, frustrated in achieving our goal, that we have learned to adjust our behaviour.

So what do I want? What shall I do? Shall I say yes – or no? Who will be disappointed? Who will approve? Will my plan succeed? Will it rain? Will it cost too much? On the one hand… but on the other hand… I must consider this carefully.

Stop! I want to become a child again. I am tired of pretending that I don’t want to do it because it will cost too much. I am tired of telling myself I don’t want to go when really I do but I don’t have the energy. I am so good at pretending that I don’t want to try because I suspect I will fail. I’m tired of pretending I am excited at this new challenge when I’m tired and want a rest. At least I need to know what it is that I want … even if in the end I can’t have it! To dare to dream… to dare to chase those dreams… to dare to do – or not do – and take the consequences!

The strawberries look so good – so big, so juicy, so red, so tempting... I’ll do it! Hang the consequences!

No comments: